A blog by someone new to blogging, set in Beirut, by someone new to Beirut.

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Swimming with the fishes...

Well, it would have been had most of the fishes off the shoreline of Lebanon had not been killed off by pollution!!!

Dom used his wasta and his contacts a couple of weekends ago to hire a 50 person yacht to sail up and down the coast near Beirut. It was a lovely clear day, but sadly a little windy, causing some of the party to lose their breakfast (thankfully not me - growing up in Bognor Regis means that I can cope with most sea conditions!). No matter, we sailed north up the coast and dropped anchor in Jouneih bay where the braver members of the party swam in the sea.

After that we set off again, and headed back towards Beirut to take in the city from the sea at sunset. The sea had calmed down considerably and it was beautiful. A fantastic day, all told.

Now, usually at this point I would post pictures for the delectation of my one or two readers (literally, it really is at one or two at the moment!) but sadly I can't. Why not? Because it is not only me that went swimming with the fishes. My camera made an ill advised leap for freedom from the security of Dom's pocket and at this very moment is making new friends on the sea bed of the Mediterranean... No matter, the eye is the camera, so they say, and it was a fantastic day out. A new camera will be purchased shortly.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, well yachting on the Med. How the other half lives. It is nearly freezing here and Autumn has come early. Pity about the camera but I would have suggested one of the company diving in to retrieve it if I was there!
There will be few Christian MPs left if these bombs continue.

4:32 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a divvy, on the camera front!

As one of your one or two readers, I am deeply bereft!

Hope you are having fun
Hayls
xxx

4:47 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home