A blog by someone new to blogging, set in Beirut, by someone new to Beirut.

Friday, February 17, 2006

Looking Back, Looking Forward

As anyone who follows current affairs in Lebanon will know, Tuesday passed off peacefully. So peacefully, in fact, that I had a lovely little wander around the demonstration and was able to sample the atmosphere, take some pictures, listen to the nationalistic songs and generally look like a tourist, albeit a tourist who attends demonstrations. (On a "actually I do not feel like a tourist note", I bumped into someone - and a Lebanese someone - I know on the bus on Wednesday. Clearly I am now a local).

But back to the demo. At the top of Martyr's Square, where I started my wander, it felt like a family day out - lots of children and a generally chilled out atmosphere. Further into the demo, nearer the Mosque that you will see in the photos I am about to upload, the crowd was more energized, but the good natured atmosphere prevailed. As a caveat, I left around 12.30, so I am not sure if that was maintained, but I believe it was pretty peaceful all day. The police and army were out in force and much searching and looking into handbags was going on, but I certainly didn't feel intimidated at all.

So there you have it, a 'not much to report' shocker. And even the cars weren't hooting as much that evening! Fab!!

So instead of trying to analyse what that means for Lebanon, I will now go on to give you a narrative of what I have been up to this week. Walshe-James towers has been quite busy. I have worked two full days (very hard for a part timer!) and the social life has been full. Dom went to a birthday party last night where he was the youngest one there!!! I have been bonding with my work colleagues and have had a Lebanese haircut. Pretty similar to a British haircut, as you would imagine, but much speedier!!

However, the main news is that my sister Siobhan is coming over today to stay for a week - my first guest! We are going to learn to snowboard (clearly I am hoping that my prowess on skis is to be repeated - hopefully minus the long, embarrassing trudge down the hill this time), visit some Roman ruins, eat food, drink wine and bond!

As promised, I close with some pictures of the demo and of Dom in front of a fire truck.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How is it going with your first guest?

12:32 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent, Fiona, very descriptive and interesting. You really have wetted our appetites and we are looking forward to our visit. Photographs are very good and I can blow them up on the computer. Even saw Dom and Siobhan quite clearly. Certainly gives one the impression of the size of the building.We have applied for the Syrian Visa although the Irish will have no problem she said. It is St Patrick's day to-day and the great match is tomorrow. Wish us luck.

9:57 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home