A blog by someone new to blogging, set in Beirut, by someone new to Beirut.

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Under Siege

I didn't ever expect to be blogging under these conditions. After all, the Israelis haven't done anything on this scale since 1996 when they bombed Cana. But today they surpassed themselves. I am not condoning Hizbullah's actions at all but the Israelis cannot go bombing airports, roads and killing civilians in this manner. It amounts to bully boy tactics and seeks to destroy a lot of what the Lebanese are trying hard to create - a vibrant and progressive economy that relies heavily on tourism. It was stupid to kidnap the soldiers - the response has been disproportionate. We cannot fly out, we cannot sail out and we cannot drive out. But, quite frankly, I don't want to. I enjoy living here; this is my home for the next two years and I want to stay. I like my job (but not the hours!).

There are no plans to evacuate at the moment. The advice we have is to stay inside, watch tv and we will be contacted if necessary. Tonight will be the test - the Israelis may well come down hard parts of Beirut and the South. I doubt if I will hear it though - I slept through the airport attack rather embarassingly...

So, anyone who is worried - we are fine. The magazine is going well - obviously we're rethinking our theme for August - we feel that bling may not be the best thing to go with, but we are still publishing. Life goes on here in Beirut!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you're both ok.

I think you're doing a better job of reporting than the BBC this morning. Their reporter was explaining how everyone was staying at home, then realised she was standing in front of a noisy traffic jam. She quickly explained it as journalists moving about the city...

Let us know how things develop.

11:41 AM

 
Blogger Terry said...

Hi Fi,

Very pleased that you are both ok. It looks hairy on TV but I guess the Embassy area should be safe...

Please keep us up to date with what's happening - the blog is great!

1:52 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home