A blog by someone new to blogging, set in Beirut, by someone new to Beirut.

Sunday, July 16, 2006

Under Siege IV: Lies, Lies and Media Reports

It was quite a noisy night again. Bombs started going off around sunset, then they were quiet, resuming from around Midnight to about 4am, I think. I really couldn't be bothered to look at my watch by then as I was just focusing on getting to sleep.

Anyway, having a quick look at the media online has really got me irate. Firstly, they have been misleading people - if warships do come, and it seems they are on their way - they will take time. Barcelona, despite being 'abroad' is still quite a way from Lebanon. They are ships, not aircraft. Secondly, I have never been on a warship (apart from HMS Belfast), but I doubt very much if it is equipped to hold 15,000 passport holders in any sort of habitable conditions. I have visions of small children sleeping curled up to some large artillery. Thirdly, the Israelis have bombed the ports. Unless the press envisage us all taking to small inflatable dingys, again I am unsure how we will all get to the boats. Maybe they think the FCO will issue us all with armbands.

But, that aside, the press have gone for their usual 'let's bash the FCO about what they are not doing' line, very cheap and easy. I am no massive fan of the FCO and some of the decisions they make and yes, I think some of the contingency planning once we knew there was trouble, could have been better. But when there are people volunteering to come in and answer phones who aren't members of the Embassy, who are taking time out when they could be doing something else or hunkering down in their flats, who are kept awake the same as everyone else, who are trying to provide reassurance and information to people who are trying to get through, it really riles me that the press are saying that we aren't doing enough. Most people who we have spoken to have been in the country for a while and NEVER BLOODY REGISTERED. How are we supposed to contact these people, through ESP????????????

People seem to think that if you go abroad, you will be able to be teleported home at the first hint of trouble, I'm afraid that it doesn't quite work like that. Especially when the Israelis decide to bomb your airport, port and roads out. It's crap here, we all are in the same boat; but winging to the BBC from the safety of a mountain about how the FCO haven't helped when we have spoken to your sister and talked her through the situation is not really cricket, is it?

In other news, Sydney is well, I think she is probably deaf as she is taking the explosions in her stride. Will try to get a picture of her for the site.

I'm off to get food (there is still lots around) and then head into the Embassy to take calls from stranded citizens and journalists who are blocking our switchboard pretending to be concerned Brits in Lebanon. The irony is, when ever I do speak to someone, they are really grateful and perfectly fine. But you'd never hear about that, would you?

Oh, and the Sunday Telegraph completely failed to print online my rather indepth and useful insights (I thought) into the British situation - probably because I said that the lack of international condemnation of Israel was not helping the situation. Independent on Sunday - where were you!?!?!!!!!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Fi,

Good to hear you are keeping your sanity in such a situation and keeping us all updated with the goings-on. Not only am i very interested in knowing what is happening in Beirut, but you have now got me (and others I'm sure)watching out for Sydney's well being!! Stay safe and well and look forward to reading your next narrative.
xx

3:51 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From Jon A

Fiona

Thanks for your posts to the blog.
I'm checking every day, like many others I'm sure.

Any chance of a species ID on Sydney?

Jon

10:05 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home