A blog by someone new to blogging, set in Beirut, by someone new to Beirut.

Sunday, January 14, 2007

Skiing, Trips and Buses in the Bekaa!


It's been a very relaxing and (relatively) healthy week as befits the beginning of January. Quiet nights in and book reading have been the order of the day. The city is quite quiet too - I went to meet my friends for lunch today and the roads were even quieter than usual for a Sunday. It is rumoured that the boycotting of Ministries and other activities will increase/finish (depending on who you speak to) by January 25th which is also the day of Paris III - the third attempt at getting Lebanon out of the financial quagmire it has found itself in. Although to be fair, the last 6 months weren't entirely the government's fault... It was 6 months ago yesterday that the war started - it's gone so quickly and to many people, me included, that whole time now seems really surreal. I would imagine that in no small part it's down to the fact that I was personally very unaffected by the war. I'm very lucky to live in part of Beirut that wasn't really hit by the bombs. Many people are still trying to repair their houses, or sell them, or move out of the southern suburbs of the city. Many people in the south are still trying to rebuild their homes and live with the constant threat of cluster bombs.

Tomorrow I'm off to the Sursock museum - possibly the Lebanese equivalent to the Victoria and Albert museum in London - that has just reopened after closing during the war. I am hoping that this one does not have the interminable exhibition of wrought-iron gates that I once had the misfortune to get lost in with Siobhan and is more enjoyable. The National Museum here is also exhibiting a recently received Bronze age painting that I am planning to go and see.

On a more modern note, the Bekaa valley, famous for its vineyards, its agricultural produce and its wetlands that attract many migrating birds (when they are not being shot by hunters) also has a rather unusual attraction (see above)... Dom was in the Bekaa today for lunch and thought it made a good photo!

We've also been skiing and I can proudly report that I am a triumph of speed over style and grace! Sadly that also means taking a couple of tumbles; once when Dom nearly sent me down a black run (possibly after my life insurance???!?) and once when a small child knocked me over (no doubt sent by Dom to try and claim the life insurance for a second time)! Apart from that it was a great day out and the weather was really sunny and warm. Long may the ski season continue!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It a double decker bus! Are you sure it is the Bekaa Valley? It looks like the Highlands of Scotland.

10:44 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home