A blog by someone new to blogging, set in Beirut, by someone new to Beirut.

Monday, November 13, 2006

As Time Goes By

Realised to my horror today that it has been 'some time' since I last provided an update to life in Beirut. Then realised to my relief that it was because not much has happened. Lebanon is back in the news - 6 Ministers have now resigned from the government (or 7 if you count a Minister who resigned a few months ago - but they replaced him with an acting Minister) and it's all getting a little tense politically. In terms of the mood on the street, people are jittery, but jittery without much action - there is always the threat of street protests (mainly sit-ins by Hezbollah and the Aoun supporters) but although I had a very vivid dream that this happened last night - it has not yet come to pass. So no branching into sooth-saying when I go freelance then.

I'm still at Time Out Beirut - although I am really looking forward to stopping and continuing my career break. We're off to the launch party tonight - free drinks for an hour and then a DJ playing 'commercial' music...

Other than that I have been partying, working, studying Arabic verbs (really difficult!) and training for the 10k. It's less than two weeks away and I am finding it HARD! The route is all marked out now though and it's running through the more picturesque parts of town - the Corniche and Gemmayzeh so if there are any pictures posted people will see the best of Beirut - better than the images of destruction which are now lodged in people's minds again.

Keep your fingers crossed that the resignations don't increase - and that any protests are peaceful.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not long to go for your marathon? We shall be thinking of you while you puff your way up the many hills in Beirut. Don't overdue it so stop and walk the rest of the way. Do you want sponsorship? I might manage a few quid!

7:26 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home