A blog by someone new to blogging, set in Beirut, by someone new to Beirut.

Sunday, July 23, 2006

Under Siege XII: A Life Less Ordinary

Oh bliss - I had a day off today. I have worked solidly either at Time Out Beirut or on the emergency response since July 10th. Sadly though, poor Dom had to work this morning (although I believe we will be getting a day off later on in the week) and we were both fielding calls about Danish ferries (don't ask!) well into the afternoon.

Apparently there were quite a few loud explosions in the south of the city last night, but we were both so shattered that we didn't hear them at all. We did hear the ones this afternoon - the Israelis seem to have started using bunker busters over the last few days. These consist of a bomb that punches a hole through the ground (the first noise), and then explodes when it gets to a specific depth (the second noise). They are phenomenally loud. They are so loud that they cause the windows to our balcony to flex slightly when the sound reaches us.

We tried really hard to get some normality back today. We went to the supermarket - there is no milk to be found at all on the shelves, and some items (bizarrely Special K bars) have sold out in their entirety. Fish is obviously also a non starter and there is less fruit and veg on sale. Nevertheless we stocked up on various food stuffs (pasta, rice, chocolate and rose wine - Ksara Sunset for those who have tried it; it received 5/6 stars in the Time Out Beirut review!) and then wended our merry way to the recycling station. Strangely though, and despite the fact that our Sukleen refuse collections have been happening as regularly as clockwork, someone has removed the recycling bins. Now I admit that trying to do your recycling in the middle of an international crisis may strike some as resolutely middle class, but it is a bit strange that the only bins that have been removed are these ones.

Beirut is really quiet tonight. We were toying with the idea of going out for a meal, but our friends - those that are left, and there a only a few now - are all having a quiet one and so are we. We've watched the second episode of 'House of Cards', that rather fantastic series from the 1990s, and I must admit I get a little nostalgic when I see that gothic masterpiece looming up at the end of Westminster Bridge. However, I agreed to two years here, and two years it shall be as long as I have a say in the matter.

Finally, I will shortly be announcing the commencement of the 'name Sydney's chick' competition. The chick is still yet to make its move. If anyone can let me know the normal gestation period for this egg I would be grateful. Sydney is still fine and hard of hearing; she seems very happy in our company and she sends her best as do we. Keep up the comments - yahoo is really playing up today and I really enjoy reading them.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I Sydney is a Eurasian Collared Dove as I suspect - hatching is at 14-15 days and fledging follows 17 days after that.

8:52 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Guys,

I'm glad you're ok and am impressed the supermarkets are still functioning! There was some film of a residential area of Southern Beirut this evening and it looks like it was hit by a major earthquake. Unbelievable.

Anyway, according to wikipedia the gestation period of a collared dove is 14-18 days. The young then fledge after 15-19 days. Looks like you and Syd will be neighbours for a while.

Keep the posts coming!

Phil

9:02 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I covered the gestation period of the "Egg" in my comments of the 21 July. 14 to 15 days is normal but these are not normal times in Beirut. As you have referred to the "Egg" so often I would suggest you call the new arrival, when it comes, "Eggy".
Ken Howells is talking a lot of sense, pity nobody else does.
Look after yourselves and keep safe

9:57 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do hope you two are storing up all your recycling in the spare bedroom until those bins come back - wouldn't want you to drop your standards just because there's a war on.

Any more expressions of admiration and you'll have to start a signature book. But although I'm a bit nervous about going public like this, let me add my name to the list; I'm so proud of you both and I really think it's time for another of those mega-Fi and Dom reunions (after all, it's been more than a month since the last one). If we booked a table for 20 at Gandhi's the week after next, would that magic you both back? No, I know, but it's worth a try..

Keep batting for Britain, as somebody in the Foreign Office once said to me. But, more importantly, keep batting for Lebanon.

Lots of love

Rich

PS Just so she knows she's NOT thick, or at least that she's not the only one who's thick, I share Jo's bewilderment about the Sydney photographs. Where's the bird, for God's sake?

12:39 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fiona

Ornithological info

Found this for the collared dove:

Nesting: two white eggs laid about 24 to 40 hours apart; 14 day incubation period. Egg hatch as they are laid. Parents share incubation of eggs and rearing of the young. Young fledge in about 15 days & another two weeks to become independent.

Regards

Jon

10:48 AM

 
Blogger Hayley said...

Can you not pretend that you only planned to stay 6 months, and have therefore exceeded your time there by a healthy month or so? There is no shame in coming home before the two years is up (I for one would have been in hysterics and hanging on the legs of any man/woman with a boat!)!!!

I am very proud of you girl. Take care of yourselves, and... errr... JUST GET ON A BOAT!!!

Hayls
xxxx

3:34 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Details of gestation period for little Sydney in my comments of the 15 July. However it takes 14 to 15 days for the egg to hatch so the great day should be about the 29 to 30 July. As you mentioned the egg on many occasions I would suggest "Eggy" as a name for the new born.
The world is beginning to realise the terrible consequences of the bombing with so many children and women and men killed. Nothing can justify this on the part of Israel.
Keep safe we are thinking of you both.

3:35 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Fiona
have just spent a while catching up on the blog having been away for a bit and wanted to send my love to you and Dom and say am thinking of you. Although I wish you were home safe, knowing you, I am not surprised and really proud that you are sticking it out and doing your bit to help the people of your adopted city in the face of all this stupid devastation. Take good care and my vote for chick's name is 'Jemimah' - which means 'little dove' in Arabic apparently! xxx

6:30 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jemimah sounds good to me!

Sorry things are still not getting any better. It really does look like nothing is changing very soon!

10:53 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home