A blog by someone new to blogging, set in Beirut, by someone new to Beirut.

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Under Siege XIV: Hillbound

Dom is finally getting a day off tomorrow and we are heading for the Hills. There's a resort still open in Broumanna, north of Beirut, so we are going to read books, lie by the pool and chill out for 24 hours. It'll be good to get out of the city - it's been a long two weeks and diplomacy is still moving very slowly. Some UN observers in the south were killed last night by an Israeli attack - this cannot go on - are we all to be targets?

The shelling of the southern suburbs is also continuing - I am not sure that there is anything left to hit any more. If the aim is to take out the leader of Hizbollah, Nasrallah, it isn't working - no one is left in the suburbs. My friends have all moved to places of safety - but are all staying in overcrowded houses with family and friends. It's tiring them out too.

My work here is now focused on clearing the backlog of paper that the evacuation left behind. In fact, I'd better get on with it! Sydney is now looking decidedly bored and is clearly fed up with this nesting lark.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Fi and Dom,

Great news that you are getting out of the city for a bit of a break - enjoy.

Surely the killing of the UN observers will prompt some effective action?

You know we are all thinking of you. I think it has even stopped us moaning about the heat here...

Lots of love,

Sio x

9:57 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Fiona,
Not sure if you remember me! Its Seema and we used to work together for Monis! I have been following your updates everyday and you & Dom are both very brave.
Hope you have a nice day off at the hills.
Take care!
Love,
Seema

12:47 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello! I am an old uni friend of Jo's and she sent me your blog. Just wanted too say that I think that you are very brave and keep up the good work. I hope there will be a ceasefire soon!!

Holly

11:36 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hillbound AND eggbound... a nice symmetry...

Hayls
xxxx

10:26 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home